Equality – critical engagement – adaptation – commonality – empathy – vibrancy – proposition – new order – manifesto – new world – imagined world – possible world – realistic – restoration – cooperation – collaboration – inclusivity – diversity – belonging- connectivity – participation – indigenization – interruption – kindness – responsibility – justice – solidarity – sharing – belonging – interdependency- coalition
These are some of the many words that we have come across in our recent readings on capitalism, colonialism and climate change, and in news articles and commentary on wars and famines, mass displacements, tyranny and neo-fascism. We live in bizarre and horrendous times, but we must rally around. Amidst the horror and sadness, we’ve have found and collected positive words, keywords for change. These words, and others that will come up, will be our guides in a collective process of thinking, creating and sharing at RIA in 2018.
RIA’s project, Growing up Human, ended in March 2017. We will continue to study the post-human condition, while focusing on the role of artists in the political and ecological instability of the current moment. Discussions around artists’ practices, on topics such as disciplines, institutions, the machinations of the art world, history and methodologies, always arouse a great deal of passion and involvement at RIA. Will it be possible, or is it perhaps even necessary, to focus on such specifics of art-making in order to be sensitive and responsive to the destabilized, crisis-ridden contemporary?
Affected as we all are by news of wars and famines, mass displacements, tyranny and populism, now, perhaps more than ever, artists need to be critical of their own practice and be aware of its relationship to the world they live in. Perhaps together, looking at all those keywords for change in our own particular ways, we can come a bit closer to an answer to the question of what role art can play in these unstable times, when so much is to be done.
- The RIA CCCC (Capitalism, Colonialism, Climate Change) Studygroup meets every third Wednesday afternoon. Studygroup: CCCC
- Propositions regarding art in unstable times that were put forward by the CCCC studygroup, are collected on this page.
- BYOA (Bring Your Own Art) on Keywords for Change, the first art-sharing experience of 2018, took place on January 1st 2018. Pictures will be posted soon.
- Not all Salons will focus on Keywords for Change, but Doris Lamontagne’s Salon on January 30, has “Water” an important Key word in Climate Change, at its centre.
- The RIA Facebook page is a gathering of articles and videos on topics relevant to Keywords for Change. Anyone can post: https://www.facebook.com/growinguphuman/